Old June 2nd 07, 04:08 AM posted to misc.kids
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward

Default Toddler wants only milk

On Jun 1, 5:09 pm, Akuvikate wrote:
On May 31, 8:21 pm, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward

wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a nearly-16-month old who now has a 12-week old baby brother.
Lately she has been insisting on getting a bottle of milk every time
she sees her little brother having his. Today she had a bottle in the
morning, one in the afternoon, and one for dinner. She threw such
tantrums for it, and I've been so frazzled with looking after the two
little ones that I had to give in. I'm kicking myself for it now. She
did have a proper lunch with me but wouldn't eat anything later.

Should I try to phase out the milk, and the bottle, or can I still let
her have this for a few more months?

I wouldn't let this go on for too long. There are a fair number of
kids that age who will happily fill up on drinks at the expense of
eating on a long-term basis. And too much milk, in particular, can
set toddlers up for (sometimes quite severe) iron-deficiency anemia.

It would be a good thing to get rid of the bottles, but it's probably
not the time to go too hard-core on stopping it. I wouldn't let her
drink too much milk though -- the goal is 12-16 oz/day. If it helps
you can water it down with water to strech it out and give her more
bottles if it makes your life that much easier.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, almost 4 years old

Watering down the milk seems like a good idea - but wouldn't that
still fill her up, so that she wouldn't want to eat real food
afterwards? We've been giving her a 9-oz bottle first thing in the
morning and same thing last thing at night. In addition, she has
lately been asking for a third bottle of 9 oz at the expense of the
evening meal.