Old March 13th 04, 08:04 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Default Cultural differences (was: upset at nanny -- vent)

"lunchlady" wrote in message
om...
"Circe" wrote in message

Er, 35 years ago, I was 4 years old. I'm reasonably sure that Negro

was in
disfavor by then. I believe "colored" was actually the favored term by

that
time.

That said, Negro was *always* a word with negative implications because

it
was coined and used at a time when black people were considered so

inferior
in the US that it was okay to enslave them. For obvious reasons, most

people
in the US now want to dissociate themselves from that term and all its
baggage.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [23 mos.] mom)

Well, I'm the same age, and remember clearly advertising for the United

Negro
College Fund. I don't remember "colored" so much as "black" or, for a time

in
the 70's (an all around peculiar decade!) "Afro American".
Of course, I grew up in the midwest.

The United Negro College Fund was founded in 1943, so that name was
well-established by the 60s and 70s. I remember the ads ("a mind is a
terrible thing to waste") and the Fund, but I wouldn't use that as a guide
for the usage of "Negro."