Old March 1st 04, 03:32 PM
zeldabee

Default Bleak over a baby (semi-OT)

Dagny was all, like:
Nope, this absolutely depresses me too. Strollers for little babies
and baby buckets (car seats carried into stores) depress me. I don't
know why the mom doesn't like her kid enough to put her in a
sling/carrier. I hope they all have bad backs.

I do make some use of various paraphenalia but not NEARLY to the
extent of my peers.

I'll use whatever works, but not as a substitute for holding my baby when he
wants to be held. He hated his swing, so I didn't use it, he loves his
exersaucer, so I use that, he likes being in his high chair for x minutes at
a time.

When Sprogly was about 3 months old, my co-workers gave me a stroller, and I
tried it, and he hated it--he started to scream after a block and a half. I
couldn't manage the big heavy thing on the subway stairs, so I hated it.
Now, at nearly 6 months, he's been out in a stroller with Daycare Lady a few
times, and he's really enjoyed himself. I've just ordered a lightweight
stroller, and we'll see how it goes. Right now, the sling's still working
for us, but Bloke won't use it and neither will Daycare Lady, so if
anything, they'll use the stroller even if I don't.

I do feel a bit sad for those babies who spend most of their time in plastic
devices, as so many people remark on what a happy baby Sprogly is, and he's
a sling baby all the way. But with my back, he probably won't be in the
future when he gets bigger. The only slings that are working for me are the
ones where he's carried in the center, high up, and that means I can't see
where my feet are going. I've taken two falls, the most recent one being
last Friday...that makes me nervous. (Sprogly wasn't hurt, but I turned my
ankle both times.)