Old October 19th 04, 07:08 PM
valerie

Chris-
The disorginization and the sloppy handwriting may or may not be part
of a bigger problem. Are they in general characterized as being
messy, or unorganized, forgetful, unattentive to details, or have
trouble with spatial relationships? If so, you could mention it to
their teacher, or school psychologist. But my guess is at this age,
it *probably* isn't part of a larger problem if they have been
generally succeeding. JMHO.

A good strategy for organizing space when working with math problems
is to fold the paper into equal parts and then to pre-number the boxes
in order (l to r, or t-b in columns) this will give a visual sense of
order to follow. Forgetting the () and the +/- signs is something
they are going to need to train themselves to go back and re-check
their work. Many times students just rush through the assignment (for
a variety of reasons) and fail to recognize the oversight.

Hope this helps...and remember just how sloppy MDs writing is in
general, maybe you have future doctors on your hands :-)

(Chris Himes) wrote in message om...
Both of my boys have very poor handwriting (ages 9 and 13). Some of
their teachers comment on it, but some don't. My older son
occasionally misses some points on tests because the teacher can't
read his answers. Now that he has started more advanced math, he also
misses negative signs, forgets parentheses, stuff that really makes a
difference!

They also are both very sloppy in the way they arrange work on their
papers, especially math problems. They might put problem 1 in the top
right, 2 in the middle, 3 on the bottom right, then 4 on the top
left--if you see what I mean. So, is this just general laziness,
indicative of some bigger problem, something they will outgrow, or
something that only bothers me as their mother! Any strategies for
improving this? They both HATE to write as it is and so making them
sit and copy sentences or letters seems the wrong approach.

Chris