Old March 24th 04, 09:27 AM
Vicky Larmour

Default Yoga ball-birthing ball--what can I do with it now?

In article om,
Elitsirk wrote:
I think
the ball that I have is similar to what everyone calls a
"birthing ball" but I've never seen anything that describes what
you actually *do* with a birthing ball during (or before) birth
(we haven't taken a childbirth class yet either, so maybe that's
where most people learn about them...?)

Sit on it (slightly underinflated) with your feet apart and rotate
your hips - like belly dancing / hula but sitting down. This helps
your hips stay flexible and the foetus move into the right position.

Sit on it and lean slightly forward (maybe rest your arms on the back
of a normal chair in front of you) to watch TV or any time you would
normally sit reclined - again, great for getting the foetus in the
right position.

Sit on it and bounce gently up and down by using your thighs - help
strengthen your thigh muscles without putting too much weight/strain
on anything.

Hold it against a wall with your back and slide/roll down & up again
in a sort of supported squat. Again, good for thigh muscles.

Those are the things I used mine for. I also took it to the hospital
in labour but didn't end up using it as sitting down during a
contraction was painful.

Hope this helps!
Vicky
--
"Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room