Old June 3rd 04, 08:25 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Default Infant swimwear

Donna wrote:

"Dagny" wrote in message

T-shirts are never a good idea when swimming. They make your body work
harder to stay warm.

Really? I'm not doubting you but I can't imagine why. What's the science
of that? I've been putting baby Meg in a t-shirt for the pool for sun
coverage. As a child I generally wore a t-shirt over my bathing suit to
avoid burning my shoulders and upper back, which are hard areas for an

older

child/adult to sunscreen herself.

I used to go white water rafting fairly frequently (yeah, pre-marriage and
babies. What happened to my hobbies??? sigh), and the guides always
recommmended against wearing cotton, because while
polypropylene/fleece/wool, etc will get wet, the fibers will still keep you
warm. Cotton fibers wick heat away from the body when wet, and so tend to
chill the body. T-shirts are cotton, in general, so I imagine that is where
the prohibition against cotton comes from.

(That being said... unless the baby is going to be somewhere where she
cannot remove the t-shirt when/if she gets cold (like white water rafting,
for example), it doesn't seem to matter whether the baby wears a t-shirt. I
keep Sarah in a cotton t to keep the sun off her.)

Delicious Truffles, did I get it right?

Donna

Yes. :-) Thanks.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole