Old April 20th 06, 06:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Biting

Usually a baby bites at the end of a feed. and there is a clue that
it is about to happen. A baby cannot bite when they are fully
latched on, so they first slip down onto the end of the nipple.
If the baby *starts* to slip down, latch them off, and latch them
back on corectly. If they refuse to stay latched on correctly,
end the nursing session.

If you need ot latch them off, either to correct the position or
because you are being bitten. press their face into your breast.
The baby will immediately open her mouth, and you can latch her
off.

Good luck,
Larry

Tammy writes:
: I came here for advice when DD wasn't gaining weight and received a lot
: of help. Skylar is now 8 months old and has her first tooth. It isn't
: completely in yet, but it is through the gum. Sometimes when she is
: through nursing she will pull up and off and I am scrapped by the
: tooth. I think that today she tried to bite me a couple of times, but I
: wouldn't let her back on. I want and have to keep nursing, because she
: won't take a bottle and she refuses formula, plus she only weighs 14lbs
: 9ozs and was 7lbs 4ozs at birth, so she is still small and needs to eat
: often. She nurses every three to four hours and my nipples are getting
: sore. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

: Thanks again,
: Tammy