Old January 29th 07, 08:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

Default Biparietal Diameter / 20 week scan

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
Did they give you any indication of what this might mean? Did they tell
you the numbers, or did you just read them from the u/s report? Did they
tell you what the normal scale was? For example, if the normal scale was
40mm, then I wouldn't be so worried about a measurement of 39mm. But, if
the normal measurement was closer to 60-100mm or something, then that
would seem more worrisome.

The other factor to take into consideration is how worried the doctors
seemed, and what they said. If they said it's low but not something we
should worry about, then I wouldn't worry. If they said it's low, and
we'd like to watch it, come back in a month, then I wouldn't worry so
much. If they said it's low and we want to see you next week, and it
could mean "blah blah blah (insert some horrible diagnosis here), then I'd
be worried.

Even with that, it's never a sure thing. I had my OB quite worried with
DD2. From about 28-34 weeks, I was measuring a good 4-5 weeks behind for
size. She rushed me in to have an u/s done within 2 days or so, just to
check everything out. They said DD2 was looking good, just *extremely*
small, at 34-35 weeks, and still measured real small for dates until she was
born. It was something the doctor was fairly concerned about, but DD2 was
born 6 days before her EDD and weighed in at 7lbs 3oz - not a very small
baby for baby #4, when the others were 7lbs 11oz, 8lbs 2oz and 7lbs 8oz.
She was by no means 'extremely' small!

Buuut, I do agree - if they seem very worried and have you coming back in
the *very* near future, then it might be something of a concern. If the
doctors or technicians don't appear to be making a big fuss and just want to
check out, then I wouldn't worry myself all too much!