Old June 8th 07, 11:35 AM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Default Survey: best name for a newborn baby boy?

wrote in
oups.com:

Lee wrote:
did you mean to use Nicolas, Steven (Stephen) or Robert? i
certainly hope so, because actually naming the poor child
with a diminuative is unkind. it's hard enough to get
along in the adult world without being saddled with a
'baby nickname' as your given name.

Mary laughs: WAAAAAAY true. In high school, my boyfriend
sent a way to get a copy of his birth certificate - and was
flat out horrified his parents had actually registered his
name as "Ricky" instead of Richard.
Probably seemed cute when he was a rolly polly bundle of
joy, but not so cute when he was grown up.

girls get it worse though. i know grown women who suffer
through being named Ducky, Precious, Bambi, Sugar, Muffy. yes,
seriously, those *are* their given names.
that sort of name is maybe cute until the child is 4. then
it's a huge liability to the child.
and while an adult *can* legally choose to change their name
many don't want to offend their parents by doing so. or (in my
case anyway) the parents think the given name is perfectly
good & refuse to use the changed name. i just dropped my first
name, which i loathe, & use my middle name, which is nice,
short & androgynous since neither of my parents use *their*
first names, i claim to be standing on family tradition
lee