Old January 25th 05, 11:56 AM
Welches

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I had a question for everyone.

My 17 month old DD is developing quite well in most areas, but our last
WBV hs made me upset. Our paediatrician (who I think will no longer be
our Paediatrician after this visit!) proceeded with quite a tirade at
our last visit because DD is still eating jarred baby food.

DD will eat soft foods (like yoghurt, ice cream, soup, etc...) that we
feed her but wants no part of table food (and by table food, I mean
small, cut up bits of mean, chicken etc.). I have given her some of
the same meals we eat (but ground up in our food processor) and she
eats them fine. But if we were to put small pieces of hamburger,
chicken or the like in front of her she picks it up but doesn't show
desire to place it in her mouth (however, cookies she figures out goes
in her mouth !).

Well I'd prefer a biscuit to a piece of hamburger!!

If we place the food in her mouth, she might chew a
little but doesn't really show desire to do it. I should add she only
has 3 teeth right now and I really believe that is a main reason she
doesn't react well to table food...doesn't chew yet!

No. Don't put it down to that. #1 ate anything-including meat pieces before
she had any teeth at all. I never worked out how she managed some finger
food without teeth.

She doesn't get "grossed out" by table food (I know of babies that get
mad or upset with table food's), she just prefers the softer, more
swallowable foods).

The Paediatrician said that she wanted DD on table foods within 3-4 days
and with no baby food.

I don't see why she shouldn't have some baby food. What if you give her
mashed potato? That's like a baby food, but it could be what you're eating.
3-4 days also seems a bit drastic. It's not like she's going to die even if
she never eats table food!!

I just don't understand. After all, isn't DD
getting the perfect nutritional balance if I make sure she has plenty
of fruit, vegetables and meats from Gerber jarred foods? Several of my
"Mom friends" say that the doc is overreacting and is pressuring DD to
keep up with the "norm". But as we all know, their is no "norm" for
development in children that is the same!
What does everyone else think?

#2 is 15 months. She likes finger food and the baby jars. The 4m+ ones. She
won't eat the older jars-spits them out.
However she's not sufficiently interested in food to eat enough table food
to keep her going. So I do her one pot of mashed up baby food and some
finger food. Like a couple of cooked carrot sticks, a piece of potato and a
piece of chicken. I feed her the baby food and she um.. plays with the
finger food. Some days she'll eat it all. Other days she throws it all on
the floor and, other days she'll eat bits and not much else.

There is some concern among health professionals that there is a "window"
where the child can take more lumpy foods and if you miss it there can have
repercussions. I think then the thought is they can have difficulty learning
to chew-rather than it coming naturally, can lead to other problems like
speech even. Don't know how true it is, but that's the thought.

I'd offer finger food with the baby food. Then she's getting the nutrition
in, but learning finger foods.
Debbie