Old April 11th 05, 09:08 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Scott wrote:

My wife and I have an 8-year-old son, and a 5-year-old daughter. My
wife would like a third. There are times when my wife accepts not
having a third, but she'll frequently find herself wanting another.
She is worried she'll regret not having another one, and the ones we
have are growing some quickly.

As much as I try, I can not come to terms with having a third. I try,
but for a variety of reasons, I don't want another one, but I worry
about my wife.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's a really tough situation, and can even be a
marriage-breaker in some cases. I think you have to have both
parents on board to choose to have a child, but it's really
tough to want a child desperately and have to give up that
dream because your partner doesn't want to have another.
Our third was conceived when our first two were about the
same ages yours are now, and it was great for us--but both
of us were on board with having a third.
I don't know that there's anything else for you
to do but talk to each other and try to understand where
each of you is coming from and look for some course of
action you can both live with. Unfortunately, there
isn't much available in the way of compromise--you'll
either have another child or you won't--so you just have
to work things out with as much love and respect as you
can, and hope it's enough.

Best wishes,
Ericka