Old May 28th 04, 06:49 PM
Jill

Default Question about stitches

I have quite a few stitches (vaginally), they are the kind that dissolve...I
have never had this kind before. It's been 3 weeks and they are still there
(of course)....I am just wondering, how long do they remain before they do
dissolve? I am so afraid they are going to itch as it heals more. As it is,
I am still very sore in the area. There is not ONE chance I'd not follow the
"6 week rule", because...ouch! In fact I am wondering if it will not still
be sore at the 6 week mark because that's just in 3 more weeks. I can't
believe it takes this long to heal....or at least, I can't believe it still
hurts this bad after 3 weeks. I have not taken pain medication since the
first week except for the occasional Motrin.

By the way, I highly recommend stool softeners. My first BM about 3 days
postpartum was not too bad, but after that I was more constipated, and that
caused the WORST pain I have ever had. I thought stitches were ripping out-
not while using the bathroom, just in general....I literally screamed in
pain for 3-4 days. Narcotics didn't help at all because it was a really
sharp pain like a bee sting, The dr told me that the tear cut through my
vaginal muscles, and pregnancy/hormones caused me to have hard stools and
that was putting pressure on the muscles. Anyway the pain was spasmy, and it
felt JUST like a hornet stinging me up inside..I swear, the most miserable 3
days of my life. They ended up having me drink a bottle of magnesium citrate
and that took 2 days but it stopped the problem.

I don't know why, but I requested stool softners in the hosptial but the
midwives told me not to take them, just take a laxative 3 days postpartum if
I hadn't gone to the bathroom by then. I still started taking stool
softeners the day I got home but evidently it was too late to prevent. I
swear that hurt, I thought for sure the stitches were coming loose.

Anyway I am surprised I still hurt now.