Old July 25th 03, 09:11 AM

Default help me keep my son from perpetuating the cycle of abuse (very long)

Betsy wrote:

Nah, not brave.

well, I think most of us would beg to differ and would shrink at doing what
nurses do everyday, I know I couldn't do all that, my hat's off to you!

That's just what nursing is to me anymore. I became
a nurse to help people. I found the care given in the hospital was
less what I had hoped to provide. Running in and out of 8 patients
rooms, giving them all their medication, being available for the
doctors, and then running to a code situation (this was a cardiac
unit so that happened more often than I liked) made quality
difficult. I think what made me finally want to leave the hospital
was a patient that was brought into the emergency room by ambulance.
The paramedics were attempting to recuscitate, so we continued the
efforts. There were the external defibrillator pads on this guy
(these are used in place of paddles sometimes) because he just had a
pacemaker put in a week or so prior. The doctor asked if any of the
nurses knew how to administer the shock using the pads. I said, "I
do." So he tells me to give the shock. After that we get the flat
line. The guy was gone. The doctor patted my shoulder and said,
"Good job." I was speechless. I had participated in subjecting this
man's final moments to drugs, needles, the humility of nudity in a
strange environment, and finally the pain of electrical
cardioversion. This was not care, it seemed to me. It was torture.
The man was 89 years old, why couldn't we let him die in peace and
dignity. That's when I realized I needed to get out of the hospital.

The inhumanity of modern medicine astounds me at times.

I either needed to go into OB, or pediatrics, where there were much
greater 'successes,' or leave nursing altogether. Hospice work never
occurred to me. It was when I met up with a former class mate, and
former best friend but that's another story, and she told me about
her job with Hospice. I told her if there was another position open,
I would love to work there. She worked in a different county,
however. BUT one of the nurses where she worked, used to work at the
Hospice where I currently work, and she knew there was a position.
So all in all I think it was fate, or destiny, or divine calling.
Call it what you like, I am actually where I want to be, doing what I
want to do, and loving every minute of it. OK, not EVERY minute of
it. But I feel rewarded when I am finished with my work for the day.
I get to care for the WHOLE patient, not just, "the new pacemaker in
29," or, "The post-MI in 18." There is a true connection with these
people that I get to feel. And I feel the difference I make in lives
every day. It's a good feeling to get. Oh boy, is THIS off-topic!!

Now this is interesting to me because I am interested in a career in medical
genetics research.

I read your post, but I wasn't sure how to respond. Glad you are not
in too much pain from that. If I had become stuck in such a fashion,
no doubt I would be immobile. I think that has to do with the
location of injury. Mine is cervical, and the neck is an area that
controls the rest of the body, so to speak. Damage to the cervical
spinal cord causes weakness or paralysis to the lower part of the
body. That's why I am so afraid of surgery to that area. Therapy
has helped a great deal, but the arthritis in my neck will never go
away. I wake up achy every day, and if I have a nap for some reason,
I am achy when I wake from that as well. I am 31, and falling apart.

Me too. I'm 36 but I look 26 and feel a lot older than either one. My
saying is that I look young but my eyes and back know how old I really am!

Again I am glad you are mobile, and I hope you feel better soon.

Betsy

I feel grateful to be free, I'm gonna get some coasters to put under the
corners of the coffee table so that never happens again! Sorry to hear of
your upper back pain, believe me I can sympathize. chronic pain sucks.
Especially for such an active career as the one you have. There are others
on this newsgroup who can relate to chronic pain as well, you can search
google.com for fairly recent discussions we've had on that subject and
advice and support I've already forgotten. Take care!