Old June 3rd 05, 01:18 PM
enigma

Banty wrote in
:

In article
k.net,
Don says...

"dragonlady" wrote
Why is it you think the city "owes" you a paved road in
front of your house?

Where did I ever claim that?
The street was already here when we built our home 3 years
ago but it was full of potholes, trash was everywhere and
the paving was very thin as it was installed in the early
60's. No one else lives on this street. I cleaned up the
trash, filled the potholes and then repaved the whole
street. Street maintenance is paid for with property tax,
which we paid.

OK - one street, which I take was a public (town or county
or whatever) street. The POINT all along was - do you or do
you not drive on roads paid for by taxes. Think the street
this turns onto or leads onto. THe public pays for
streets for you to ride on, no?

wait... he says he has the only house on the street. doesn't
he also live in Mass? there's a good possibility his road is a
class 6 (not town maintained).

Aren't you the person that claimed to pay property tax
through your rent? If so, then its no wonder all of this is
difficult for you to understand.

And where is the limit to that?

Ask the politicians, as they are the people that make the
rules. Unfortunately they are also the people that don't
obey the rules.

Someone has to make decisions about how the limited $$
gets spent; it makes more sense to me that the people we
elect makes these decisions -- not individuals.

So, if they collect money to pave the road and then don't
do it, then what? I doubt that you would be so gratuitous
if you actually paid property tax.

Appeal to the town? Possbily, sue? Did you go through
those steps?

I get this Paul-Harvey-Rest-of-the-Story feeling about this
road paving thing..

a lot of New England towns have class 6 roads. they may or
may not have ever been paved, but they are not maintained by
the towns. they no longer pave or plow them (or fill in the
mudholes with gravel or grade or...). if you buy a house on a
class 6 road, you do the maintainance or it doesn't get done.
if you have neighbors on the road & they agree, you may be
able to get them to pay for a share of maintainance costs.
maybe.
i had a house that was the only house on a class 6 road & i
just viewed it as a really long driveway when i sold the
house, it was made *very* clear to the buyer that the road was
NOT town maintained (this is actually important because you
have to keep certain road clearances in order to be able to
get fire & rescue vehicles to your house). they were still
pretty stupid & insistant that even though *we* said the road
was class 6, the town *would* maintain it for *them*. yeah,
right...
lee