Old October 17th 05, 08:46 AM
Jenrose

Default not CIO but Cry-In-Arms?

"Jo" wrote in message
Anyone heard of this?

What are your thoughts?

http://www.awareparenting.com/answer13.htm

Its all so confusing! I thought it would be much kinder to them if they
didn't cry - a dummy/boob/rocking/wrapping helps that, but what do we
really know about how much a baby *needs* to cry?

My opinion on baby crying is that they should never be left to cry alone,
but crying in arms is not necessarily "bad".
The idea that they need to cry to release tension is bunk for many babies,
but you can sort of get a feel for whether they are "winding up" or "winding
down". There's crying, and then there's crying. Full blown hysterical fit
needs addressing and comfort and help winding down. Putting a baby down and
letting them "grumble" for a little while while they sort of fade out is no
big deal and I do that on occasion with Shiny.

If they're going to cry somewhere, in arms is better than not.

I think the idea that you're "putting off inevitable crying" with a pacifier
or extended nursing is silly--it may be true for some kids, but never was
for mine.
Jenrose