Old May 15th 04, 01:35 PM
Donna

Default Motherhood and me

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
I just wanted to post another post. My milk has come in and Rachel is

doing
a great job! I am not even sore (yet), and Rachel has never had any

problems
latching on. It's just that *I* am awkward at the breastfeeding positions
except for lying down on my side. I still haven't gotten the hang of

sitting
and breastfeeding, yikes. In the hospital the lactation consultant helped

me
and once she positioned Rachel all was well. But when I try by myself, I
don't have enough hands and Rachel's arms, well, I never know what to do
with them...it's all in shambles!

Have faith, this will come. It took me forever to figure out how to hold
Sarah to nurse, but eventually you'll get it worked out. Boppys are a
godsend, though, aren't they? Hey, you got what I found to be the hardest
position (as well as the most necessary for the early feeding days/nights),
lying down, right off the bat! Good for you! That one took me weeks to
master.

(and I never learned to nurse and hold a book at the same time. Evidently
that position will forever escape me. )

I can't believe how calm I feel, and how not-nervous I am. My mom is

coming
over next week a lot to help me when my DH goes back to work. We are

getting
along, it's so odd it's scary! She has done a couple of typical things,

but
I see her differently now. It's easier to overlook, and just see that she
loves the baby so much and is so tickled to be a grandmother. I do realize
that she has been through a lot with her side of the family, and I see the
joy when she is around Rachel.

Some of us are lucky enough to be able to enjoy our moms when our babies
arrive. I always had a great relationship with mine, but the moment I
looked at my daughter I had a complete perception shift, and realized how
*she* felt all those years of rearing me - the love, the concern... It
really brought us even closer together. And it's hard not to adore someone
who adores your child.

Jill, I'm so very happy for the way things are working out for you.

Donna