Old March 1st 05, 04:38 PM
Circe

"toypup" wrote in message
m...
Am I Mrs. Mylastname? I'd feel funny being Miss Myfirstname. I even feel
funny being Mrs. Mylastname. It's so formal. I like being Myfirstname,

but
that's too informal, if I have to call the teacher Miss Herfirstname,

which
I figure I have to, since she introduced herself that way. What is the

best
way to introduce myself to a teacher who introduces herself as Miss
Herfirstname? This happens so much, I never know what to do. I just say

my
whole name, but I'd rather figure out what I'm most comfy with, so I'd

like
to know what other people are most comfy with first.

I don't think that what the kids call the teacher should have any bearing on
what the teacher and the parent call one another.

When my kids were in preschool, their teachers were Miss Firstname to
*them*. *I* called the teachers Firstname and, if we were meeting for the
first time, introduced myself as Firstname Kidsname's Mom.

Now that my older kids are in elementary school, their teachers are
Mrs/Ms/Mr Lastname. When we meet for the first time, I introduce myself as
Firstname Lastname, Kidsname's Mom. The teachers typically reciprocate and
introduce themselves as Firstname Lastname. Most of my kids' elementary
school teachers prefer that we are on a first name basis, however, and make
that clear early on. Some teachers prefer to be called Mrs/Ms/Mr Lastname,
however, but if that is what they prefer, they generally call me Mrs.
Lastname as a courtesy.

I prefer a situation in which the teacher and I treat each other as peers,
rather than my treating the teacher as an authority figure while the teacher
treats me as a subordinate by using my first name. Shudder
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Mr. Congeniality (7), the Diva (5) and the Race Car Fanatic (3

I have PMS and ESP...I'm the bitch who knows everything! (T-shirt slogan)