Old March 1st 05, 04:41 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Irene" wrote in message
oups.com...

toypup wrote:
Am I Mrs. Mylastname? I'd feel funny being Miss Myfirstname. I even

feel
funny being Mrs. Mylastname. It's so formal. I like being

Myfirstname, but
that's too informal, if I have to call the teacher Miss Herfirstname,

which
I figure I have to, since she introduced herself that way. What is

the best
way to introduce myself to a teacher who introduces herself as Miss
Herfirstname? This happens so much, I never know what to do. I just

say my
whole name, but I'd rather figure out what I'm most comfy with, so

I'd like
to know what other people are most comfy with first.

Good question. DS' gymnastics teacher is Miss Herfirstname, but when
we go around the circle to introduce ourselves, the parents just use
Myfirstname. OTOH, we've started using Miss/Mr. Firstname for the
people in our office who ds sees on a regular basis, largely because
one of our staff started introducing herself to him that way. Our
neighbors mostly use Firstname, but one family's kids tend to Miss/Mr.
Firstname.

Clear as mud?

When around neighbors, other parents and whatnot, we ask them in DS's
presence if they perfer first name or Mr., Mrs.... I did without thinking
one time with the neighbor of my in-laws. I asked her if she perfer her
first name or Mrs. B.... (very long name). She indicated she really did
prefer Mrs. B... DS asked about it and we had a nice conversation about
politeness, etc. and how it is an extension of respect. I know that DS does
not really understand all this the first time mentioned. But over time, he
gets the general gyst.

aka Miss Irene