Old April 23rd 06, 11:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default baby carrier for gardening?

"V." wrote in message
I'm posting here instead of the babywearer.com forum b/c I remember to
read this group and that's about it.
I have made several ring slings, wraps and a Mei Tai. I also have two
structure soft carriers (infantino and one with Pooh on it). I tried all
of these yesterday trying to get my 5month old (15lbs) into a high back
carry so I could garden. I could get her into a regular back carry with
the MT and the structured carriers, but she's down so low she can't see
anything. She screams if she can't see anything. Screaming in my ear is
bad. I want her high enough she can look over my shoulder, but secure
enough I can bend over and weed or dig. I seem to be completely unable to
do a back wrap carry of any kind (rucksack, tibetan, etc) because I just
can't get her up on my back high enough. When I try the "toss" method,
both of us freak out and she's still in a low position anyway. I can't
seem to scoot her up enough.

DD is the babywearing type of kid. To this day, she only likes being worn
and never any stroller; but boy, I don't think I could garden with her in a
carrier, not with all the bending over and such. Is it possible to put her
out on the lawn on a blanket, or in a wading pool filled with balls or toys,
or in a playpen in the yard?