Old March 25th 04, 10:49 PM
Michelle Podnar

Default Questions about weaning (21 month old)

DD is almost 21 months, and I would like to wean her by 2 years (July). I
have cut her nursing back to morning, afternoon nap, and before bed, and for
a few weeks this was working out fine. This last week, she has started
waking up at night and wanting to nurse...I was refusing, offering water,
and she would take a sip, and then go back to sleep, but each night it gets
progressively worse (waking longer, crying longer, more insistent on
nursing). She is also doing this after her afternoon nap too. I try to
distract her, offer to go for a walk, movie, every other drink I have and
she won't go for any of it. Yesterday after her nap, she was like this and I
held her off for an hour, and she kept whining, she didn't want anything
else but mama's milk, so I had to give in. Why is she now going backwards? I
am almost at the point that I am going to just give in, but my heart of
hearts tells me that I really want to wean her. I have gotten to the point
where I feel that I have given her 2 years (almost) of mama's milk on
demand, and I would like to have my body back for a few months before I get
pregnant again (hopefully). She is a very picky eater, so that is one of the
main reasons I have continued as long as I have. I offer her food many times
throughout the day, and there is a cupboard for just here stuff that she can
grab whatever she wants, whenever she wants, so I don't know if she really
needs the milk or just the comfort. When I am not there, or DH tries to
comfort her instead, she goes almost hysterical....she want me, and more
importantly, my milk? Do you have any help or suggestions?

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002