Old March 30th 04, 11:06 PM
CY

Default Weaning help needed

She probably isn't self weaning - I think most babies go through a biting
phase and you just have to let them know that when they bite, no more
nursing. I would agree with the books in tht this is the worst time for
weaning. You probably just have to keep an eye on her when she's nursing
and unlatch her before she does.

Larry has some good advice for this one too, so watch for his reply!
"Melissa" wrote in message
I was going to keep going twice a day indefinately, but DD bit me really,
really hard two nights ago and then did it again yesterday morning and

again
last night. I tried the usual ways to stop her, but she got hysterical

when
I unlatched her and wasn't even interested in going back on. She's nearly

year and think she's self-weaning. Regardless, I'm not willing to walk
around with scabs on my breasts, so we're weaning.

The problem is that she's never been great at taking a bottle (except from
her nanny). DH can't get her to take even a drop and it took me ten

minutes
to get two ounces into her. What's happened the past two nights is that we
get a few ounces into her at bedtime and then she wakes up a few times and
puts herself back to sleep (e.g. bedtime at 7 p.m., awake at 8:30 and
10:00). Then she's down until 4:30 a.m., when I nurse her and she doesn't
bite me. When she wakes, we just give her breakfast instead of trying to
nurse. Although this seems to be working, it means she's hysterical at
bedtime and we're waking at 4:30 a.m., which we haven't done in months
(she's been sleeping from 7 p.m. - 6 a.m. for quite a while).

What makes things yet more challenging is that we're leaving for the east
coast (three hour time difference) on Thursday where we'll be staying at

two
different places. Daylight savings starts/ends on April 4, while we're

away,
which should mess up her times further. On top of all of that, we're in

the
process of moving. We're leaving our house on April 23 and will be living

in
a hotel for a week before we move into our new house on April 30. Every

book
I've read says that this is not the time for weaning, but I'm not sure

what
other choice I have.

Any ideas?

We're thinking that we might try giving her milk from her straw cup

tonight
rather than a bottle and, if she takes enough milk, let her CIO at 4:30

a.m.
Thank you in advance for your help. I'm feeling like whatever I do is

wrong
since she's been so unhappy with the process, but she also can't keep

biting
me.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)