Old August 9th 05, 06:39 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:50:00 -0700, Amy wrote:

The nurse told me that magnesium is 1) not absorbed well, and 2) a
muscle relaxer, and that if you take enough that it's absorbing, it
might interfere with your uterus's ability to go into labor, because it
is acting as a muscle relaxant.

As far as I know, she's partly right.

The absorption depends on which form of magnesium you take. Common is
magnesium-oxide, which is indeed not absorbed well. I take an alternative
form (forgot which one) which does a better job. It is indeed a relaxant,
but I doubt it would stop labour. I've had loads of BH contractions which
would only stop when I would drink and rest, no matter how much magnesium
tablets I would consume...

Recently I've been taking my tablets before going to bed, to limit the
night-time contractions so I can get some sleep. They are much less,
but the real ones are still there and still wake me up. So I figure, if
the hormones decide it's time, no mountain of magnesium will hold it back ;-)

Anyway, check with your doctor before starting any new supplements.

That's always a good idea

--
--I
mommy to DS (July '02)