Old May 17th 04, 12:56 AM
Donna

Default Midwives and my birth/story

"Jill" wrote in message
om...

Oh, Jill, I'm so sorry that your experience with the midwives was so
negative. That's really too bad.

Oh- the OB also told
me if I HAD labored naturally without Pitocin, I probably really wouldn't
have hurt as bad THEN as I did this time with the epidurals that wore off,
because my contractions priobably wouldn't have been nearly as bad!!

FWIW, that's armchair quarterbacking. It's no more valid than a midwife,
saying after a bad medical birth "Oh, well, had we handled you without
interventions, things would have gone more smoothly." There really isn't
any way to know what might have happened had you made other choices.

he also
said a recovery from a c-section would potentially be less painful than
recovery from the kind of tears and stitches I had. NOW they tell me!

This I can speak to, having had a C. While you might have had a painful
recovery, you might also have had a nearly pain-free one from a C, like I
did. It's very possible. But again, you could have had the C and had a
terrible recovery. Try to let it go. There really isn't any way of knowing
what would have happened in different circumstances.

I think next time I will stick with an OB and have a doula, instead of a
nurse-midwife.

Personally, I'm greatly in favor of in-hospital, OB-attended births, so of
course I think that's a good idea. But you might consider, if a
midwife-attended birth is important to you, that you could have an excellent
birth experience with a different group of midwives. Like physicians, there
are great midwives and not-so-great-midwives out there. When the time comes
around that you are shopping around for another caregiver, consider that you
could certainly find a good midwife, elsewhere.

I'm very sorry that you had such a rough go, Jill. I'm really happy that
you got good medical care and ongoing pain relief at last, however. I hope
you feel more comfortable soon.

Donna