Old February 11th 04, 01:24 AM
Dawn Lawson

Default regarding Subject: OT DS cured me? ;-)

Vicki S wrote:

I am posting through google and your original post isn't there yet.
Thus the new subject line.

Dawn wrote:

I have PCOS. ... since his birthday, I have had regular cycles, and suspected
I was ovulating... I hope it means that the pregnancy with DS re-booted my
system... espcially thin PCOSers....anyone find the same (well, obviously Ms
Jen-full-of-Lily....*you* did ;-)

And not just Jen! I have PCOS too. I'm not really and truly thin,
but I'm not massively overweight and horribly acne prone, either,
thank heavens. I think, pre-pregnancy, I was about 10 to 15 pounds
over the top acceptable BMI for my height.

*g* I'm about that over the lowest acceptable BMI for my weight ;-) and
currently nearly the heaviest I've been in my life. *I'm* not really
and truly thin, when you see my sister who has a BMI of about 18
(seriously, I just went to see) (And no, before y'all get unglued about
that, she's not unhealthy, just takes after my dad's side of the family.)

I used Clomid and dieting to get pregnant with DS.

DS is from Puregon.

prescription for Clomid and (progesterone? whatever hormone they use
to get you to menstruate so you can take the Clomid).

Provera (nasty to babes in utero) or Prometrium (safe(er))

I insisted that the doc give me a blood pregnancy test, just in case,
since both drugs would be very bad for the fetus if I was pregnant.
The doc thought I was being rediculous (shame on her) but it's a damn
good thing I insisted because I was a few days pregnant with DD.

Seems wierd that the same dr who told you that you'd conceive had to be
convinced to do a preg test before giving Clomid. (I tried Clomid and
hated it, didn't do a thing for me, gave me visual disturbances, plus
i'm not convinced it's all that safe, given the half life and standard
menstrual cycle/early preg.)

assume the drugs would have been the end of her if I'd taken them.

Well i'm not sure they are abortifactants, or exactly how high the risk
is, but neither is something i would willingly take if I thought I might
be pregnant.

This time I completely and totally assumed I would need to diet again,
so I ate carelessly once I went off birth control -- thinking that I
would wait till the timing was exactly perfect for my long-term plans,
then diet, then get pregnant.

Hmmm, was it you we scolded for that? ;-)

When I got pregnant with DD without drugs, I expressed surprise to my
midwife, but she was quite non-plussed. In her experience this sort
of "rebooting" or "cure" (or whatever you want to call it) is common.

I suspect my mother is PCOS, for various reasons, and although she
apparently had no problems concieving me, she has mentioned that she was
very regular AFTER I was born, so I deduce from that that she wasn't
prior to her first preg. My sister is 15mo younger, so apparently there
was no problem after that with fertility (*g* depending how you view an
8 yr gap before the youngest of us was born)

So I think your odds of now ovulating normally - or much more normally
-- are probably quite good.

I really think the last 5 cycles have been ovulatory. It's kind of
exciting, if just to experience "normal" and "predictable" :-)

However, I wouldn't assume that it means
your pancreas and your insulin and all that stuff are all working
properly. Maybe they are, but the health inplications of PCOS, as you
indicated you are well aware, are serious enough that I wouldn't take
ovulation as proof of a complete reversal. I'd still keep a really
active eye on it. Not that I am sure how to do that, actually.

Me neither, since my weight isn't an issue, and anovulation is the
commonest other reason to even suspect PCOS....but I have an appt with
my beloved RE in March, and we're going to discuss various options. I'm
going to get copies of my bloodwork and evaluate what marker might be
useful for me to monitor (Even in my shockingly single state ;-) , I'm
not going to let my health go to hell in a handbasket for wont of
action. DS needs me here and healthy for a long time yet, *I* have no
interest in becoming unnecessarily unwell)

Dawn