Old June 19th 09, 04:37 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

Default Swimming classes ineffective

On 18 Jun 2009 22:15:15 GMT, (Beth Kevles) wrote:

Hi --

Swimming lessons, just like any other subject, can be well-taught or
poorly-taught. Where we live, we've had poor teachers at our local
public pool, excellent teachers at our local public school, and
excellent teachers at our local YMCA. Ultimately, we switched to
private teachers, whom we think offer better price/performance. We
looked for teachers who were recommended by friends and teachers with
WSI certification.

Ask around to find out who offers good swimming lessons in your area.
Don't just sign up for a pig-in-a-poke.

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.

It also depends a lot on readiness. My dgd learned very little from
her group classes last year at 5.5. She did pass her *water strong*
test, where she jumped in without goggles and with clothes on and swam
back to the side, but she only did that once and it took us 20 minutes
of coaxing her to get her to jump in.

This year at 6.5, she's a fish. An older neighbor girl got her to
take off the goggles and she started jumping off the diving board and
swimming to the side about a week ago. She is currently taking
lessons privately from a lady who has her own pool. She learned the
backstroke yesterday and showed me today. She was taught *chicken,
airplane, soldier* and picked the stroke up quickly.

She does better privately because there are fewer kids and she is not
as distracted when she waits her turn.

Motivation is key at his age. Is there an older boy he looks up to,
who wants to show him how to do things? My dgd learned to do a
handstand on the pool bottom from another older neighbor today.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits