Old March 1st 04, 03:15 AM
Ralph DuBose

Default Empowering boys

"V" wrote in message ...
I know alot of empowering young women and girlpower and I have read many
periodicals and books on the subject.
Now, I am searching for empowering young men and boypower. The search is very
skim. I have read, Bad Boys and Raising Boys, but there is just not as much
out there on this subject as far as programs to help boys, besides YMCA.
I know there is boy scouts and girl scouts, etc, but they are something that
is not close by in our area.
I am going to be getting some ideas together to begin a program within the
school system that empowers our young men. I have been reading a lot of stuff
to present to some rape crisis volunteers on the history of rape. This is what
got me to think about how men are raised to commit such a horrible act.
Then I think of their home life, etc. and it is a serious factor?
What do you guys think?
I will be going to school (senior highs) and speaking to young women about
rape prevention, but just what can I tell the boys?
Sorry about the long rant.
Thanks.

It is important to keep in mind thar guys/boys often will exert
themselves in extreme ways for the sake of being able to maintain
their own self respect. But if they are told straight-out in advance
that they are all regarded as potential rapists; scum until proven
otherwise, and that young women are saints until proven otherwise, you
will have blown it.
Very few young men are rapists in waiting. If you address the bulk
of them as if they are you will have lost all influence with them.
The teacher will appear when the pupil is ready.