Old June 30th 03, 11:17 PM

Default Homework Help Request

Homework Help Request

Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Fri, Jun 27, 2003, 6:49pm
(EDT+5) From: llmyplonkerwhenyoureply
(Dennis=A0Here)
turtledove wrote in message ...
Or in other
words, all countries seem to teach English, but the US doesn't focus on
their own children being bilingual.
Is this good or bad?
Bad. Try here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/languages/
Then search the whole BBC website for the info you want. It really is an
amazing resource, particularly the world service section which is
available in 43 languages!
My middle son Andrew who is fluent in French and Spanish as well as
getting by in German is also learning Italian through this site.
Dennis
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
probably too late for your report but Bilingual Ed was discussed on the
news in NYC. Mayor Bloomburg is pushing for a more multilingual
educational system and, from what I understand, is going to push for a
system that teaches English as a subject along with the student's native
language.

I know many in NY who speak two or more languages. I grew up learning a
smattering of German and Spanish even before taking the required 3 years
of foreign language in school. While is nowhere near as comprehensive
as what is planned in NY, I think they are moving in the right
direction. Early education, catching that window of opportunity for
learning languages, is crucial to breaching cultural divides.

'Kate