Old November 16th 03, 08:14 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Default Yet another "ready for solids?"

Elizabeth Reid wrote:

Are the increases in food allergy incidence in kids real,
or is it better diagnosis, etc.?

I vote for better diagnosis and better understanding of the
reasons behind other atopy (eczema is what I'm thinking of).
100 years ago, someone with anaphylactic allergies
wouldn't survive to reproduce, FTT (due to allergy /
intolerance) babies died, anyone with severe eczema was at
risk of death from untreatable infection. Allergies that
were minor and eventually outgrown were just another baby
rash.

Now, not only can you diagnose and treat (or at least
manage) atopic disease, the odds of dying are smaller. So
there are more live allergic people, more allergic genes
being passed on, and more minor allergies being recognized
as allergies.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt