Old November 17th 03, 03:49 AM
Beth Kevles

Default Yet another "ready for solids?"

Are the increases in food allergy incidence in kids real,
or is it better diagnosis, etc.?

The increase in anaphylactic allergy is real, and visible even in just
the last 25 years.

I believe that part of the reason for the suggested
introduction-of-solids schedule is that you want a child to be as mature
as possible before introducing the more serious allergens. Pre-verbal
children, for example, can't tell you if their throats tickle, nor can
you see that, but if it happens the first time they are exposed to
peanuts, there's a good chance that the second exposure will have a more
serious consequence. ALso, there aren't great emergency response
systems for infants who develop an allergic reaction, whereas there are
for older children. (See my previous post w.r.t. epi-pens.)

But I couldn't find much research on when and why to delay most solids.
Milk and wheat, yes. Best delayed at least 10 months, with solid
research behind it. All solids best delayed beyond 26 weeks. But it's
still an interaction between genes and the environment.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.