Old July 17th 06, 11:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

Default Etiquette Question - wedding invites

wrote in message ...
KD writes:
: Greetings folks:

: Just wanting to get some opinions from out there. We've been invited to
: a wedding, which it will cost a fair bit for us to go to; car rental,
: gas, clothing for me, wedding gift, etc.

: Anyhow, we just learned that our five month old isn't welcome at the
: reception, not even for just the dinner portion. The baby is
: exclusively breastfed, not like I could just leave him with someone.
: Even if he weren't, everyone I know in the area will be at the wedding,
: there's no one to leave him with.

: Question is, is this the norm for weddings? When I got married this
: didn't even cross my mind, and I confess it didn't even occur to me
: that DS wouldn't be welcome when we got the invite. I always thought
: that weddings were a family celebration, and families do include
: children. I can't see us spending all this cash to go, when the most
: important member of my family isn't welcome.

: What do you all think?

: KD & G

I don't know how to say this politely (to those who invited you), but
I certainly agree with you. Simply tell them that your are nursing,
you can't leave your baby for long, and if he is not welcome, you
cannot come. end of story.

Larry

Ditto that.
I think that before you actually *are* a bf mother, the options seem so much
simpler ... "oh why don't you just hire a baby sitter and leave some
bottles " seems like such a good option if you don't know exactly what a
huge ask that is: "just leave your precious child with a complete stranger
for 5 hours, let them feed her food she's never had before and which may or
may not damage her gut and you can be uncomfortable for a couple of hours
and maybe leak breastmilk all over your nice new dress"..
Amanda