Old February 11th 09, 10:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Default nintendo ds

toypup wrote:

"Ericka" wrote in message

There are two different things involved here. There's
the DS-to-DS wireless for which the range is about 65 feet.
That's used for pictochat and for multiplayer gaming when
everyone is relatively near each other. For some games everyone
has to have a copy of the game, and for others only one player
needs to have the game and the others download it from him or her.
There's also the WiFi connection where the DS connects through a
wireless router to the internet over Nintendo's network to play
games with people anywhere in the world. Each player needs to
enter the other player's "friend code" to be able to play this
way, and the interaction is limited to whatever the game provides
for (which generally doesn't include chatting), but you can play
with people who are far away.

Thank you. This is the function I am most concerned with. I also
thought Pictochat was something they could do through WiFi, but I guess
not. It all sounds pretty secure. Thanks, guys.

It's kind of weird. It is all through the WiFi, but
the long distance one connects through the internet and Nintendo's
network. The local thing is through the same wireless hardware,
I think, but is just DS-to-DS and is therefore geographically
constrained.

Our wireless network is reasonably secure, and we
rode herd on what friend codes they used. I didn't worry too
much about the pictochat except to give them the usual
periodic lectures on it not being private and being cautious
about any strangers who appeared in pictochat.

Best wishes,
Ericka