Old October 29th 07, 12:21 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding,sci.environment
Jeff

Default Parents Raising Concerns Over Synthetic Turf

Tim Campbell wrote:

Such concerns on the part of Mrs. Taylor and other parents led to a
study
this summer by the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station in New
Haven. It found that when the rubber granules were heated in a
laboratory
at temperatures consistent to exposure to the sun, they emitted four
organic chemicals that could irritate the eyes, skin and respiratory
system. One of the chemicals is believed to be a carcinogen. The study
also detected other chemicals that could not be identified without
further
testing.

What chemicals? In what quantities? Has anyone complained of eye, skin
and respiratory irritation? What about allowing cars with this type of
rubber near the field? Maybe they should ban them. And bikes, too, with
tires made of this sort of rubber or having it as part of the bike brakes.

What about the equipment and chemicals used to maintain grass fields? Do
they cause eye, skin and respiratory irritation?

What about kids? They, too, give off noxious substances. If you don't
believe me, just visit my cousin at a soccer game.

Chemicals are a part of life. My body if full of them. They have names
like DNA, RNA, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, glucose,
catachol-o-mehtyl transferase, hemoglobin, acetic acid, glycine. And
they are all made by my body.

To me, it seems that no case that the artificial field is a danger has
been made.

Jeff