Old April 27th 08, 09:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Default Raising boys

Areba wrote:

I have no idea about raising a boy. Is this a common apprehension, or am
I just thinking hot air and any apprehension I have now will disappear
the moment I see my son for the first time..if its a boy..

I think this is a common worry. I don't think it will totally
disappear the moment you see your son for the first time, but you will
quickly realize that you are parenting an individual child whom you
know better than anyone else, and not some generic "girl" or "boy."
You may well find that you have some challenging adjustments to
make along the way, but you'd find that with any child. I grew up
with girls and found some significant adjustments living with two
boys...but I've also had to make significant adjustments to expectations
with my daughter.

Now, all four of my sisters are pregnant also. All four are having
boys..none of my sisters have any apprehension at all and are fully
confident that they can raise a boy.

Or perhaps they're just not expressing any concerns, or
perhaps they have other concerns that overshadow concerns about
gender.

Basically I am a little scared...My
husband on the other could care less.. he is ready to rock and roll
fully confident what ever the sex is. What gives me great comfort is,
that seeing my husband is male..he knows instinctively about boys and
comes from a long line of boys himself.

Eh, I don't really think *anyone* has all the answers
easily and instinctively, regardless of the sex of the child.
Your husband may feel comfortable with the idea of a boy, but
I guarantee that your child will send him for a loop sometime
regardless of whether it's a girl or a boy--and same for you.

Best wishes,
Ericka