Old April 27th 08, 10:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kerry J, Renaissance

Default Raising boys

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:52:35 +0800, Areba
wrote:

I have no idea about raising a boy. Is this a common apprehension, or am
I just thinking hot air and any apprehension I have now will disappear

I felt that way about my son. He's my first child, and I was more or
less raised in a household of women -- my sister and my mother. There
were men in my life, growing up, but they seemed more peripheral.

I had no idea what to do with a boy, when I got one. However, I've
managed. The early baby times are all much the same, I think --
slightly different plumbing to clean and wipe (and you've got to watch
for the fountain effect with baby boys!), but still the diaper has to
be changed, the baby needs to be fed and cleaned and loved.

As he's gotten older, well, I've been glad to have my husband around
to influence -- now that he's 6, he's really into his Daddy and doing
"man-things". And it helped to have an example around for peeing
standing up, when potty training time came around.

As he's my first, I'm not always sure what part of his rough-housing
and occasionally getting into trouble is just part of being a boy, or
general non-gender-specific human nature, or just _him_. It doesn't
really matter, usually, but I'm curious.

I'm now expecting twins, a boy and a girl. I'm curious to see how our
next boy turns out, compared to our first, and am looking forward to
having a daughter, too.