Old October 11th 07, 02:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

Default Multi-Vitamin at 2 Months?

Hey.

Data on Vitamin D in breastmilk is conflicting I think. I have read that
there's enough (which makes sense, supplements haven't been around for
ever ;-) ) but some say it's not enough especially during winter. In
germany we get vitamin D pills (or vitamin D with fluoride). I have them
laying around but I don't give them. I thought about taking them myself
and hoping more gets passed along, but right now we're going for at
least two half hour walks every day and at home Sara's hanging out near
a window usually, so I'm not really worried about her vitamin D levels.

When Sam was a baby we also got the Vitamin D and being a new mom I kelt
tying to give them to him and he kept throwing up everything he just
drank shortly after a feeding (you're supposed to give them just before
nursing). He never spit up, except with the vitamin D so I stopped
giving it as it made no sense whatsoever. He doesn't have any health
issues relating to too little vitamin D.

cu
nicole

Jodi B schrieb:

Hi All,

DS is now doing well with BF, gaining weight and putting on chub!

At his 2-week check up, the ped mentioned that if he was still
exclusively breasfed at his two month check up then they would want to
put him on a multi-vitamin because "breastmilk doesn't have vitamin D."
I've never heard of babies going on a multi-vitamin at 2 months old...is
this new? If my baby needs vitamin D, why doesn't my breastmilk have
it? The only thing I can think of is that I live in the Pacific
Northwest (US), and we don't get a lot of sun this time of year, so less
vitamin D that way?

Thanks for any info!
Jodi (off to google some stuff!)