Old October 11th 07, 09:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Akuvikate

Default Multi-Vitamin at 2 Months?

On Oct 11, 1:57 am, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:

http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/index...tent&task=view...

- Vitamin D

It seems that breastmilk does not contain much vitamin D. We must assume
this is as nature intended, not a mistake of evolution.

Bear in mind, human evolution took place in Africa naked or nearly
naked. That vitamin D deficiency and rickets in young children is on
the rise and is due in part to increased breastfeeding is
indisputable. Does that mean your child is at risk? Maybe, maybe
not. A pale baby in Florida in June -- not. A dark baby in North
Dakota in December -- yes. A lot of it depends too on the babies diet
after 6 months, as if they start eating vitamin D rich foods (mostly
fortified dairy products) before 1 year old they won't have any
visible symptoms of deficiency.

Here's the link to the AAP Section on Breastfeeding recommendations on
vitamin D supplementation.
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;111/4/908
They do recommend supplementing starting at 2 months for exclusively
breastfed babies. Not very many pediatricians follow that guideline
for all their patients. I've been ****-poor about it, and have to get
better as I now work with a mostly dark-skinned population in a bad
part of town where people stay inside. None of my patients have
developed rickets so far, but you'd better believe I'd feel pretty bad
if one did because their parents didn't know any better.

Vitamin D
drops are expensive.

It's $10 (US) for a 1-2 month supply. Most people who would find that
a significant financial hardship would probably be eligible for public
assistance programs that might cover all or part of the cost.

FWIW, vitamin D deficiency in adults too is epidemic in the US now.
There's early evidence that vitamin D deficiency might be related to
colon cancer. I use this to justify my own laziness about
sunscreen :-).

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and something brewing 4/08