Old May 29th 04, 07:40 AM
Jenrose

Default Quantitiative hcG tests

"DL" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I've noticed in some postings that people get a "quantitative hcG"
test early in pregnancy to ensure that the hcG levels are rising and
doubling as expected, or it seems from some posts that it helps "age"
the fetus if conception date is not known. I only had a qualitative.

I only got a beta HCG (quant) because I was in the ER with bleeding. And
another 2 days later because if it went up, I'd still be pg, and if it went
donw or stayed the same, we'd know things were over. It went down
precipitously.

I'd have been just as happy to stay completely away from it. If you're a
home pregnancy test junkie, you can actually get a pretty good idea about
doubling/not doubling HCG by taking the same brand of test every other day
or so. See www.jenrose.com/hpt/hpt.htm for more details. The chart at the
bottom gives you a good idea what different kinds of "doubling" can look
like.

That said, even early doubling doesn't guarantee healthy pregnancy, which is
why running off to the doctor for a beta "just because" isn't necessary.
Jenrose