Old August 10th 06, 11:40 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

Default first day of kindergarten and homework!

In article ,
"toypup" wrote:

DS finished the first day of kindergarten yesterday. For his homework, he
had to write his name, color a house, write his address, draw a picture of
someone he wants to talk on the phone with, write his phone number. It took
about half an hour and he was exhausted. Afterward, we were supposed to
read, but I wasn't going there.

I was expecting homework, I thought maybe write one letter of the alphabet,
but this is ridiculous. I told DH and he agreed, saying there many kids
coming into kindergarten not even reading much less writing addresses.

I can just see them trying to pull this in my area -- DS1's school is about
90% kids of non-English-speaking background (NESB), including a small
proportion who start with no English at all. AFAIK DS1 was the only child who
started the year already reading, and he wasn't writing.

FTR, K don't have homework at all in Term 1, it's reading in Term 2, and
pretty occasional in Term 3 apart from the reading! (He had a work sheet for
last week.) I would be asking them what the heck they think they are doing,
and how do they deal with NESB children.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue