Old December 15th 07, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids
Akuvikate

Default Organic milk / hormone free milk

On Dec 14, 3:43Â*pm, Chris wrote:
On Dec 14, 5:51�pm, enigma wrote:

Chris wrote
oups.com:

If they are getting adequate fat intake elsewhere, the
minor difference in milk levels can be tweaked accordingly.
You need to find out how much fat is recommended in kids at
certain ages and then see how they are doing without
consumption of milk to gauge it. My 2-year- old is 40
pounds and is on 1% milk. His pediatrician evaluated his
individual situation, which is one varied in diet and a
nonpicky eater, and decided that the extra found in the
milk was not a necessity for him.

your 2 year old weighs 40 pounds? my 7 year old weighs 47
pounds. and he's hardly a picky eater. he just doesn't eat
much at a time.
lee

Yes. My 8-year-old weighs 50 pounds and my 10-year-old weighs 63
pounds and they are both tall and thin as rails. The 2-year-old isn't
obese by any means; he still has the baby look though. He is just big
all the way around. He is over 3-feet tall as well at 38" inches.

By the numbers you give he actually would qualify as obese. If you
look at the growth curves you can see how this is determined. His
weight is over the 95%ile no matter how old he is exactly. His height
could be anywhere from over the 95%ile to about the 65%ile depending
on exactly how many months he is. At 38 inches and 40lbs, his BMI,
which is a measure of weight for height, is 19.5. The healthy weight
range for children is to be between the 5th and 85th percentile.
"Overweight" (until recently called "at risk for overweight") is
considered to be between the 85-95%ile. Obesity is above the 95%ile
(until recently this was called "overweight"). The cutoff for obesity
is 19.4 for a boy who just turned two, and goes down to 18.2 for a boy
who's about to turn three. You can see the growth charts yourself at
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/...l/cj41l017.pdf
for weight and height, and
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/...l/cj41l023.pdf
for BMI.

You can choose to take this into consideration or ignore it as you
wish. Fortunately overweight in younger children is much more easily
addressed than in older children or adults. Pediatricians are
supposed to be plotting weight, height, and BMI at all well-child
checks starting at 2 years of age but many are not yet doing so.

Perhaps you've already aware of this, but what can be a big challenge
with 2-year-olds who are over 40lbs are carseats. Most carseats with
the built-in harness are only good to 40lbs. Most children that young
are not tall enough for booster seats. To be tall enough for a
booster seat the car seatbelt needs to go over his collarbone (not his
neck) and around his hips (not his belly). There are only a few
carseats that will accomodate kids of this age at this size, and for
the most part they're pretty pricey. Fisher Price and Britax make the
only ones I'm aware of.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and something brewing, 4/08