Old December 15th 07, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

Default Am I hurting my child by putting her in daycare at 22 months?

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:47:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 8, 9:36 pm, toypup wrote:
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:35:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I too question whether sending a child to childcare at a young age is
better than staying at home with mom or dad. (or other guardian)
Children will be in school for the rest of their lives and parents can
never get those first few years with their child back. If families
are fortunate enough to have a stay at home mom or dad, I think that a
child would benefit more from staying at home versus attending
childcare early on.

I have known kids who are raised in environments so deprived of stimulation
that it would be a benefit to be in a preschool or daycare setting. Those
kids are loved, but live in a bubble for fear they may injure themselves.
It can be extreme.

Although children may seem they live in a bubble, when they enter
school they will quickley adjust to it. They need that loving support
to guide them in the right direction for thier first few years. They
have the rest of their lives to explore other settings but can never
get those first few years back of their childhood spent witht their
parents or guardians, or any loved ones.

You don't know those kids. They are academically very behind. The oldest
is in third grade and I don't see quick adjustment. Maybe they'd be behind
anyway. I just can't help but think that some stimulation would have
helped. After all, most parents do provide some amount of stimulation for
a reason. I don't mean using flashcards or Baby Einstein or loads of toys.
I just mean basic stimulation like letting the child crawl or walk and
explore. Their baby was literally held 24/7 out of love -- the
grandparents took shifts and the baby slept in their arms. She is now past
a year and is not allowed to walk for fear of hurting herself (she can
walk). Thank goodness the mom is home in the evening for a few hours to
let the child explore, but that is an awful lot of hours out of the day of
non-stimulation. I'd say she gets not even a quarter of the stimulation of
the average child, because mom is exhausted from work and doesn't really do
much with the baby, either.