Old October 26th 04, 04:54 PM
Cheryl S.

"firedancer623" wrote in message
news:gKUbd.441$Ug4.389@trndny01...
Is it possible? Any good tips how? I got a questionnaire which
basically qualified me with a note saying something along the
lines of "you will be summoned within the next year"

First, don't panic. I've been summoned four times. Once before kids,
three times since becoming a SAHM. Here are my experiences:

First time: had no difficulty serving whatsoever, my employer gave me
the time off with no trouble and I had no other daytime
responsibilities. Sat in jury pool room for one day, was never even
called to a courtroom. End of service.

Second and third times: summoned to a state court. I had
responsibility for my baby/toddler all day, with no childcare available.
Called jury clerk and was told to write this on the questionnaire. Was
excused both times.

Fourth time: summoned to a federal court. Full time care of toddler
plus third-trimester pregnant, and court was 40 miles away. Not given
excusal; was offered a 6-month postponement (that would help HOW??!!) I
was 'on call' for four weeks, and was supposed to call a recording
*after the close of business* every Friday to find out whether I had to
be there at 8:00 am the very next Monday. No opportunity to give the
advance notice daycares wanted, and no daycares wanted to take on a
temporary situation of unknown duration anyway. But the clerk was very
kind and worked with me to avoid my having to go in. When my pool ID
number came up, she switched my number.

The horror stories are always the ones you hear, and I was really
stressed out each time. I hope yours turns out as anti-climactic as
mine have. I do think that people who are the sole daytime caregivers
of any dependent person (including disabled and elderly) should by law
have the option of being excused upon request. We're talking about
*people* here, who can't just be stuck in any old place, with a
stranger, at a moment's notice. It's not for the caregiver's benefit,
it's for those who are dependent upon them.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 1