Old June 15th 06, 07:34 PM posted to misc.kids

Default What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

L. wrote:

I have noticed that the Disney Channel - of all places - promotes this.
Almost every character of pre-teen and teen age is almost always
dressed "too maturely" for their character's age, IMO - and almost all
have *way* too much make-up on. In fact, many of the characters are
portrayed by actors/tresses much older than the characters (Brenda Song
is 18, Ashley Tsdale is 21, for example - both play 16 year-olds).

In my tv watching, I've seen the opposite trend - the trunks that
boxers wear are now almost mid-calf length, and the waistbands are
slightly below the rib cage (yes, I know the reason for the waistband
-- but seriously, these trunks are huge...). These things are starting
to resemble pup tents made out of lame.

As for the clothing - people obviously want to buy the stuff - that's
why it is marketed. But I cringe every time I see a 12 or 9 or 6 year
old in a belly shirt, short shorts and/or "women's" shoes - ones with
big heels and/or tiny straps and glittery, etc.

I'm not so sure that people want to buy the stuff, but rather that it's
available and inexpensive. It's hard to find conservative kid clothes
in KMart (excluding their long underwear -- all cotton! not
flame-retardant! They also have great hunters' red caps and vests in
kid sizes -- great for when you don't want your child to be mistaken
for a deer during a walk. Beyond that, I could find nothing...), and I
saw no non-character-emblazoned shoes at Payless. Target is sequined
shirts -- but only $2.99 a t-shirt. Hanna Andersson is plain and
conservative -- with 2 T-shirts for $30.

AFAIC, the parents are to blame for the inappropriate dress. And I see
it a lot in places I shop locally.

Most kids I see around town and at the schools are dressed pretty darn
conservatively (including the hippie-chick -- or is it chic? -- look),
with minimal logos (including minimal designer logos). But it's a lot
pricier to pull off such a look. When I go to the mall (a few towns
over), the kids there are dressed in a cheesier trashier style -- but
the demographics there are different than here.

Caledonia