Old December 11th 03, 05:57 PM
Angela Schepers

Default AFP and Genetic Counseling

I had an 18 week appointment yesterday and declined taking the AFP test.
The test isn't very accurate anyway and my husband and I didn't want
to worry about something that might not be a problem anyway.

:: Well, I had my appointment this morning with the genetic counselor and
she
:: went over the results of my AFP screening test with me. The numbers
showed
:: that according to the levels in my blood, I have double the chance of
:: someone my age (39) having a Down's syndrome child.
:: At this point I can't get all that worried about the whole thing. I've
:: learned so much from similar threads in this group that I feel good about
my
:: decision to decline the amniocentesis. Even if my child were to have
issues
:: of this type, I don't care to know until he or she is born. I suppose I
:: would want to know if there was a chance that the baby would have a
physical
:: ailment that would cause constant suffering, but I don't see any options
for
:: that either. I am at 21 1/2 weeks, I can't fathom a termination at this
:: point.
:: The level 2 ultrasound looked very good according to the Dr. today, and
:: feel good about this whole thing.
:: This is largely due to reading about these issues with the real people
who
:: talk about them in this group, and I am so grateful for all of you who
share
:: in here!
:: Here's hoping for the best! Thanks for reading,
:: Alexis
:: EDD 4/21/04 Beanie #1

Hi, Alexis!

I was one of the women who had a positive result on the Tri Screen Test. I
did go on to take the amnio which caused me the worst 2 weeks of the
pregnancy to date.

I applaud your decision and wish for you a wonderful pregnancy!

~Carol Ann