Old August 8th 06, 04:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irene

Default Setting one's self up for failure?

cjra wrote:
I am curious to hear other's perspectives. On another parenting board,
where most of the members are young and first time moms, I read so
often that they will 'try breastfeeding and if it doesn't go well,
stop."

Well, I agree with the others that it really so depends on the person
and the experience. Before you have kids, it is sooo hard to have any
idea what it's really going to be like, esp. when you get conflicting
reports all over the place! And of course, it *is* different for each
mom/baby(babies). You can get this idea in your head of what it's
going to be like, and so much of it just flies out the window once you
actually have a baby! I've read so many stories about moms who
expected this instant bond via bf, and were disenchanted when it wasn't
this purely magical experience. Or the moms who were just willing to
give it a try - and when it worked, it was suddenly, well, a magical
experience. And when things don't go smoothly - is it perceived as a
challenge to overcome, or as an insurmountable thing and a good reason
to quit and go to bottles?

Of course, good advice and good support are crucial, as well as
attitude - but it's sometimes hard to know what will motivate someone.
(Confession - one of my motivations was to do better than my SIL who
started combi-feeding very early on through lack of support -
competitive nature strikes again!)

Irene