Old September 18th 05, 12:18 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"bizby40" wrote:

"dragonlady" wrote in message

And that the schools were not designed to have safe drop-off/pick up
areas . . .

My kids' school is on a 45 mph winding country road with no sidewalks.
There really is no safe way for kids to walk there, even if there were
kids who lived close enough to walk.

Actually, let me take that back, there is one gravel road that goes
behind the school, and there are 2 or 3 kids who can and do walk
from there. Luckily though, they are walking across the fields and
entering through the back doors, so they are nowhere near the
road or the cars out front.

The elementary school my kids attended when we were in Massachusetts had
been designed with a "drop off/pick up" loop. There were two loops:
one for the buses, and people were not allowed in or out of that parking
lot during the beginning and end of the day, and a second for parent
pick up. It was well designed, and worked well.

However, that school opened in about 1990, and most schools here are
considerably older -- they weren't designed with the major amount of
parent driving that takes place now in mind.