Old November 16th 07, 01:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Default IQ and what it means in adulthood

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
Chookie wrote:
In article .com,
Beliavsky wrote:

It's not a matter of status, and it would not be mostly for my sake.
Since I think more intelligent people create benefits for society,
based on the research I have cited, I will try to encourage my kids to
marry smart and good people and have lots of kids. I'm not sure how to
accomplish that, but I have plenty of time to think about it.

On average, less intelligent and responsible people have more kids
than their opposites, and that's a bad thing for society. Some people
worry about global warming. I worry about this.

If you want to get into eugenics, I suggest you try a breed less complex
than humans. Budgies, maybe.

snort Love that line... ;-)

It depends how simplistic Beliavsky wants to be about it. "If my daughter
marries a smart man then she'll have smarter children" has holes in the
logic that you could drive a truck through. "Marrying a smart man is one
of many ways in which my granddaughter can maximise her chances of having
smarter children" is a lot more realistic, and I suspect it's a much more
accurate statement of his beliefs.

Whether marrying a smart man in a calculated attempt to get smarter
children is a *desirable* thing to be aiming to get your daughter to do is
a completely different matter, of course.

And then there's the little thing that not all smart women may be
biologically equipped to have children. I'm certainly a child-oriented
person, and have made my profession largely working with children while
being told on every side that I'm too smart to "waste myself" (how is
teaching young children at the time of their lives when they're most primed
for learning wasting yourself?)-but it took four years of trying to get
pregnant the first time, which ended in a pregnancy loss, three more years
to get pregnant again (one of which was recovery), which finally had a
healthy child, and after 3 more years, well, no sign of another baby yet!

Given my reproductive history, it's a darned good thing that I HAD a career
and life goals apart from being a mother and raising children-had I decided
that my role in life was to pass on my IQ and genes, it would have been
pretty frustrating!

I admit that had I the chance to do it over again, and had I known that it
would take years to get pregnant, I wouldn't have been so set on getting
tenure with the school system, since I probably would have had the 3 years
of good evaluations before I got pregnant anyway!