Old September 29th 04, 05:41 PM
Joelle

As a minister, do you ever counsel teens on sexual issues? Do you have the
whole confidentiality issue's to deal with?

Yes, and I tell the parents exactly what I intend to say. And I tell kids
upfront that if I think their parents need to know something I'll tell them and
I tell them why I think it's important that their parents know what is going on
....I also talk about how just because parents may react to something negatively
and with anger and disappointment right away, it doesn't mean they don't love
them and that they aren't going to be there to help them through whatever it is
they have gotten themselves into.

If that means they won't tell me stuff, well that's too bad, but I don't
believe it is helpful to kids to keep secrets from their parents.

An actually confession of sin is something else. Except for sexual abuse which
I am required by law to report, anything said in the context of confession
cannot be repeated but I can encourage the kid to tell their parents.

I understand certain conversations my daughter has with counselors and
ministers are not going to be reported to me. But I don't expect people like
my kids friends parents to advise them about where to get birth control.

You know those boys that snuck into my house begged me not to tell their
parents. They didn't like me too much when I told on them. The parents sure
appreciated it and will be more careful when they let their boys out (well one
parent anyway) I think everyone is better off when parents work together.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle