Old July 19th 06, 06:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

Default Update Q: allergies, gut problems and Neocate Vs breastmilk

"FlowerGirl" wrote in message

"brandini73" wrote in message
ps.com...
My son is only 5 1/2 months old & he gets 1200 mg. per day. I mix it
with BM until it's the consistancy of prepared baby cereal. In our
case, I believe my son is intolerant, not truly allergic & that he'll
grow out of it. I'm willing to keep him on slippery elm forever,
though, if he doesn't. At a seminar I was at on this very subject, some
of the moms had great success using high doses of probiotics (given to
the kids) to heal leaky guts.

Good luck!
Brandy

Update:
Bub and mum have been to a herbalist / accupressure (not sure exactly) as

of
Friday (don't know exactly what the herbs are but not slippery elm). So
far bub has done *normal* poos (rather than mucousy green slimey ones) but
has had some excess wind. ...
The mum is encouraged and is going to try this for a week or two, and then
is still going to try slippery elm if the current tmt makes no difference.

So thanks - fingers crossed that this tmt helps!
Amanda

....and another update....
All is looking encouraging ... bub has only done *normal* poos (previously a
very rare event) since starting the tmt on Friday (yay) ... has been calmer
and has been able to release the wind by *herself* for the first time (and
she's not doing anything new like rolling so we don't think its coincidnece
Previously the parents had had to hold and rock her until she managed to
pass the wind, so this is a huge change. The Mum is sounding positive that
finally *something* seems to be working

Thanks so much for all the suggestions
Amanda