Old November 12th 03, 02:33 AM
Peggy Tatyana

Default Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions?

"andrea baker" wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

Any other suggestions for strong, unmarried female namesakes?

How about Teresa? ;- (I take it you're not looking for a Christian
role-model...but there are several saints who were strong, unmarried women)

There's also Elizabeth I, queen of England, Susan B. Anthony, and Greek
goddesses Athena and Hestia (suggestions from my feminist/history-enthusiast
daughter, Aspen.)

As for being bothered by one's name, or teased, I think that's simply not
something that can be predicted in advance. Girls, especially, tend not to
be bothered so much by unusual names as boys. Naming my older daughter
Aspen, horrified _my_ mother. (I'm guessing she thought of people calling
her "Assie" -- which no one ever has.) But I gave her a "normal" middle
name, which she could use if "Aspen" turned out to be too weird for her.
Aspen thinks, BTW, that "Artemis" is a wonderful name.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "Hypatia" would be a name that would
demand an explanation. People will always be saying, "That's an interesting
name! Where does it come from?" And Hyaptia as a historical figure simply
isn't well-known enough for people to appreciate what you mean by it.

Peggy