Old November 12th 03, 04:54 PM
Nevermind

Default Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions?

"andrea baker" wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of Hypatia (after Hypatia of Alexandria) for my
daughter's first name, and Artemis (after the Greek Goddess of the
Hunt) for a second name. My parents are horrified, and think she'll
be teased. I thought if she doesn't like Hypatia, she can use "Patty"
for short. For reasons personal to me, it's important to give her the
name of a strong, unmarried woman.

Who else thinks this is just an invitation for bullying, or thinks
that there are other compelling reasons not to use these names?

I can't think of any compelling reasons, especially given the bizarro,
completely made-up names you hear these days. Maybe she could call
herself "Hippie".

However, *if* you'd like to give her a name that is more "normal," you
could always use Artemis's Roman name, which is Diana. That said, I
really love the names Artemis and Diana, but Hypatia just doesn't have
a pleasant sound to me and sounds very formal and kind of stuffy. Just
my .02.